Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Knowing the heart of God (from psalm 56 and 51)

God testifies of King David as a man after God’s own heart(God‘s testimony:
“I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after my own heart, who will do all my will”), and the book of Psalms much of which is written by David during his various times in life-be it times of challenge or times of rejoicing; to me, is an excellent glimpse of God’s heart- which David knew of ( and God Himself testified to it :) )

I have always felt Psalms was nothing short of David’s ( and the other writers who contributed) diary entry! Psalm 56, believe it or not was written when the Philistines had “captured” David.

1.He was caught by his enemies. Thanks to God for the record of David’s “diary entries”(in modern day terminology), so many marvelous truths about the heart of God are unveiled before me. In this defeated state, David tells God :

“In God (I will praise His word),In God I have put my trust; I will not fear. What can flesh do to me? ” (Verse 4)
David, who knew God, knew that all flesh had only that control over him, as much as the
Lord God gave them. Even in that hopeless captivity, he knew God is Sovereign over all flesh.

2. David tells “Be merciful to me, O God, for man would swallow me up” (verse1)

In 2 Samuel 24:14 David tells the prophet Gad “I am in great distress. Please let us fall into the hand of the LORD, for His mercies are great; but do not let me fall into the hand of man.”

David knew God. He knew that God would show mercy to Him if he humbled himself whereas man was unpredictable. How I wish I would trust in the Lord at all times as David did.

Like David, say “Whenever I am afraid,I will trust in You.”

3. In the state of being a captive(we should not forget), David tells God
“When I cry out to You,Then my enemies will turn back; This I know, because God is for me.”

How I wish I remember all my life that is God is FOR me and like David, I only need to be For God, stand on His side and trust Him because He is my Savior.
Be it times of salvation or times of captivity….He WILL deliver me…

He is the one who keeps our soul from death that we may walk with God in the light of the living. (v13)
Let us know very well as David knew, in the time of testing.

4. David committed a sin. He took for himself the wife of another man, and secretly had her husband killed in war. A terrible sin as it was, God punished him. But, unlike man, God forgave.

David truly repented of his sin when God exposed his sin. And in 1 Samuel 24, God forgives his sin but not without just punishment and his son through her dies.
David wrote psalm 51 when prophet Nathan(sent by God) rebukes him for his sin.

What would we do?
Here is what David, a man who knew God well, did.

1 Have mercy upon me, O God,According to Your lovingkindness; According to the multitude of Your tender mercies, Blot out my transgressions.2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,And cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I acknowledge my transgressions,And my sin is always before me.4 Against You, You only, have I sinned,And done this evil in Your sight— That You may be found just when You speak,And blameless when You judge. 5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,And in sin my mother conceived me.6 Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts,And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.

“7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.8 Make me hear joy and gladness,That the bones You have broken may rejoice.9 Hide Your face from my sins,And blot out all my iniquities.

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,And renew a steadfast spirit within me.11 Do not cast me away from Your presence,And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,And sinners shall be converted to You. 14 Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,The God of my salvation, And my tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness.15 O Lord, open my lips,And my mouth shall show forth Your praise.16 For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it;You do not delight in burnt offering.17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,A broken and a contrite heart— These, O God, You will not despise. ”

David pleaded with God for salvation from his sin.. To the God of mercy. David knew that his God was the God of mercy. And his repentance was truly not in vain. Praise God..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers